Tuesday 29 April 2014

The Book of Me, Written by You - Week 34 - Easter Memories



Each week there are prompts which require answering.






Week 34 - Easter Memories


I love Easter for many reasons, some of those being...
  • It is a time of year in which we celebrate new life and new beginnings.
  • A season where the weather is getting better, the days longer and the flowers and trees are blossoming.
  • A lovely long bank holiday...
  • Most importantly I am a Christian and it is a season in which we actively reflect and focus on Jesus's death, resurrection and the greater meaning behind that. I love celebrating the freedom we have in knowing that we're forgiven through the biggest sacrifice EVER and how much God loves me!!

This year in the lead to Easter we have been reflecting on Passover and the meaning of Passover in relation to Easter, so this year I have been challenged about the slavery story and the freeing of the Israelites from  slavery in Egypt. Passover is a festival and a season where Jews can push into God for breakthroughs in their lives, for the slaves in their lives to be freed. Reflecting on this has got me thinking about the what the "slaves" are in my life? What I would like to see "breakthroughs" in this year? Especially as 2014 looks to be a year for massive life changes...

When I was a child Easter was always a special time as well...
Britannia Coconut Dancers
(Image from: www.wikipedia.org, Author:
Kezka Dantza Taldea Eibar, 19 May 2007,
accessed 19th April 2014
)
  • On Good Friday we would go to the outdoor church service in the town centre, followed by a communion service at the Baptist church which we attended. After the service we would have a picnic lunch together and go for a walk in the countryside. I always loved these events.
  • On Easter Saturday we would often one of my sets of grandparents and in the town where I grew up there was a special festival which took place. The Britannia Coconutters are morris dancers which would dance around the town from one pub to the next...(you can read more about their history at their website Britannia Coconutters).
  • On Easter Sunday we would have an egg hunt and receive presents before going to the Easter morning service at the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment