Thursday 29 May 2014

Lives of the First World War - Who Are You Remembering?



With the centenary of World War I beginning this year, a new website called Lives of the First World War has been set up by D.C. Thomson Family History Ltd in conjunction with the Imperial War Museum to remember those who served in World War I.

The website is designed so that people can personally add their own stories, facts and images to the service men who are already listed on the site, so that they can be remembered.

Alongside this new website and my £1 month subscription to FindMyPast.co.uk as well as my regular subscription to Ancestry.co.uk it has encouraged me to research my ancestors who fought in the First World War and discover their stories.

My great grandfathers who I am remembering are:

  • Private Harold Vernon Poole - West Yorkshire Regiment #24181
  • Private George Henry Presswood - South Staffordshire Regiment #45098
  • Private Wilfred Sutcliffe - West Yorkshire Regiment #23963

I am going to write a blog post about each of them over the next few months...

The website seems a great way for people to share and remember their ancestors but I have been slightly frustrated with the website for if you do not have an up to date web browser you cannot upload images to the site!!! I eventually had to downloaded the new Google Chrome just to upload the images I wanted to.

BUT, who are you remembering?

No comments:

Post a Comment