Tuesday 27 May 2014

The Book of Me, Written by You - Week 38 - When I grow up I want to be...



Each week there are prompts which require answering.






Week 38 - When I grow up I want to be...

When I was growing up I don't think there was one thing which I was set on being when I grew up, I probably went through phases, some of these were:
  • to be a German teacher like my mum
  • to be a clarinet/music teacher, as I loved my clarinet lessons and making music
  • to be a primary school teacher
  • to play in the Halle Orchestra and be a professional clarinettist
  • to be a A&E nurse or doctor as I was inspired by Casualty (the TV series) for a while
  • to be a police officer, as I was inspired by Heartbeat

I became an Optometrist which is very, very different to any of the above. I think as I grew up I was seeing things around which looked interesting, so having parents who were teachers was quite a pull in, although they and my own teachers were the ones who put me off this fad and I am sooooo glad that they de-suaded me from this career as it seems to be a very intense job these days. It was what I saw and watched on TV which also inspired me to do certain other jobs, which I'm sure the TV does not really show the reality of those professions.

I guess as I was nearing the end of school and thinking much more about what I wanted to do as a teenager, I was drawn to a healthcare profession due to my love of Biology as a subject at school, alongside a few inspirational teachers. Optometry in the prospectuses sounded really interesting and covered the science and maths subjects which I excelled at and then I became an Optometrist.

I am still inspired by music and when I see an orchestra perform it makes me want to join in and be more musical but for now, that will remain a hobby.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the TV shows do NOT show the reality of any career :)

    ReplyDelete