Friday 6 June 2014

Memorial to my grandfather on D-Day 70 years on

My grandfather 
My grandfather was only 18 years old when he joined the Green Howards during WW2. His first experience of combat (other than training) was 70 years ago today on D-Day.

I cannot even begin to imagine how he was feeling on that day as a young man, only just entering into his adult years with his whole life ahead of him, running into fierce battles to give us the freedom which we live under today. There must have been great fear and trepidation, as well as bad memories of the whole experience.

It was not an occasion that grandad would reminisce about, if we asked him he would answer some of the questions and tell us a little about the experience, but I would love to have been able to ask him today some more about his experiences as well as his thoughts and feelings at the time. As a child I never properly understood but wish I could now.

My grandfather was wounded in the shoulder during the D-Day landings and returned to the UK to recuperate, before being posted to Africa for the remainder of the war.

He was a part of the Green Howards who landed at Gold Beach on the 6th June 1944.

I wish I knew more to share, but I don't and can no longer ask him, but today I have been remembering all those young men who fought on the beaches of France for the future generations.


No comments:

Post a Comment