Tuesday 3 June 2014

The Book of Me, Written by You - Week 39 - Do you have a safe place?




Each week there are prompts which require answering.






Week 39 - Do you have a safe place?


Otley Chevin (Image by Ruth Hogan, April 2011)
Thinking through this post, I decided that I do not have a "safe place" as such, but I definitely gravitate to the countryside or local park when I need some space and time out.

I love being outdoors and the beauty of nature helps me to rest, relax and spend time reflecting. There a few places with great memories that I might gravitate to at certain times of year, for example:
  • We scattered my grandfather's ashes at Bolton Abbey, so I do love to visit and spend time remembering my grandfather and reflecting on the fun times we had together at Bolton Abbey as well as other places.
  • As a student, I would always go out for a bike ride alone along the Leeds-Liverpool Canal to de-stress and actively spend more time with my own thoughts.
  • The local park is a great place, right on my doorstep when I need some space and time for reflection, a time to get away from everything else.
  • Otley Chevin is another favourite place, with many, many, many memories of visits to my grandparents and again is a place I can go to reflect.
The most important thing for me is to be alone to spend time in my own "safe place" even without my husband around, I often just need to create a space in my head to reflect and struggle to do this with someone around.

No comments:

Post a Comment